Monday, April 29, 2013

Y is for Yam

Ok I admit I'm not a yam fan. It has some sort of aftertaste that I quite frankly don't care for. However yams are fairly healthy so I know I should be eating them more than plain old potatoes. I have not tried this recipe so I can't give my honest opinion on it but it seems to be really yummy. This is a recipe my sister gave me. I imagine she got it from cooking light or the like as it seems to be a rather healthy recipe.





Split Pea and Yam Soup
6 cups water
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups dry split peas
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 medium yam, peeled and diced
1 medium white potato, peeled and diced
4 ribs celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground celery seed
1/2 -1 bunch fresh greens chopped


 1. Fill a large pot with stock and split peas and bring to a boil. Turn down medium-low. Heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the onion, yams, potatoes, celery and dried herbs/spices, and continue to cook at a medium boil for about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally.

3.Use immersion blender to smooth and thicken soup. (if it is too thick you may add more water/broth). Add in the greens and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment