Saturday, April 6, 2013

F is for Figs

Welcome to day F. When I picked today's food...figs...I couldn't help but get that lyric from We Wish you a Merry Christmas stuck in my head. You know the one about figgy pudding. Well today I decided to skip the figgy pudding and instead give you a recipe that is great for the fall especially at Thanksgiving.


Figs have potassium and magnisium and believe it or not they also have some calcium in them. A medium sized raw fig has about 40 calories making it a sweet treat.




The following recipe is an adaptation of a recipe I found years ago. Unfortunately I no longer remember where I got the original recipe from.


Figgy Cranberry Chutney           

18 dried black figs quartered
1/3 cup Port Wine
12 ounces cranberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (may be omitted)
1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
3 cinnamon sticks
Juice and the zest of one large orange
1/4 teaspoon salt
                                          Photo courtesy of Richard North
In a large bowl pour the wine over the figs and let them soak for 30-45 minutes. In medium sauce pan combine cranberries and both sugars. Heat over medium heat until sugars dissolves. Add the rest of the ingredients and continue to heat uncovered on medium-low heat. If you get a foam at the top just scrape off and toss. Stir occasionally. Once cranberries have burst and the mixture thickens remove from heat. Let sit to cool. Once mixture has cooled remove cinnamon sticks. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. This can be made 2-3 days in advance.







3 comments:

  1. I have never tried figs. Must do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never eaten a fig either. But they sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun blog! I like your food-related/etsy-related theme. The closest thing to a fig I've ever had is Fig Newtons...

    Checkin' in from A-Z

    ReplyDelete