Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Book Review- The Scoop on Breasts - A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths by Dr. Ted Eisenberg, Joyce Eisenberg

This was yet another ARC ebook I recieved from Netgalley. I'm not sure exactly what it was that made me click on the request button for this book. But I'm so glad I did. I think part of it may be my profound respect for plastic surgeons. I'll tell you why I have so much respect for them at the bottom of my review.

The book is written in a Q&A format. It answers so many questions that we have all either secretly thought of or wanted to ask. This not only deals with plastic surgery but also answers questions about stretch marks, sagging, what breasts are made of and how they develop. This is all done with humor and candor. One of the chapters is called A Tale of Two Titties (giggle).  Interspersed in here are facts about things like history of breast surgery and nicknames people use for their breasts.

I really was surprised by this book. I did not expect myself to like it as much as I did. There are a few risque photos but none more than the one on the cover. I found myself fascinated with some of the things in here. Such as if implants float or if they will freeze. The book starts from explaining about what a breast is and some common questions about things such as inverted nipples and then progresses through answering questions about who is a candidate for surgery, to what to expect before during and after surgery. The book not only covers implants but it also covers lifts, and reductions.

I think that  men, woman, and teenage girls would benefit from reading this book. Most woman have thought at least one time or another about having surgery. This also may help promote tolerance towards those who do decide to have surgery. I give this book a solid 5 out of 5 stars!


***Ok here is my personal story on why I love and respect plastic surgeons. About 3 years ago I had an accident in the kitchen with a huge pot of boiling water. I ended up with 2nd degree burns on over 35% of my body. Because of the severity of the wounds I had to see a plastic surgeon once a week till I was fully healed. I didn't end up having to have surgery. Let me tell you though I saw plastic surgeons in a whole new light. My doctor was not only professional he really took the time to show he cared and was concerned about me. The ER doctors, nurses and EMTs who saw me when I was first burned didn't give a damn about me. Whereas all of the staff at the plastic surgeons office were sweet and wonderful. In fact one of the other doctors came up to me and began to talk to me and asked me how I was progressing. Plastic surgeons are not money hungry people who prey on people's vanity. They really do care about their patients.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is huge. I'm glad you recovered. Does this book do anything to help promote self image?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I would say in a way yes. Because some of the questions deal with thing like the shape of breast and he talks about common problems that women feel/have. I think books like this just make it easier for people to decide when they are of the fence about these things. I read a similar book about weight loss surgery. I had been thinking about having it and the book helped me to realize that at that moment in my life I wasn't ready for it.

    ReplyDelete