The following photo and recipe is curtsey of Becky at Girl Interrupted Eating Please check out her blog and twitter page for other wonderful recipes. Please do not post any of her recipe/photos including the one below without contact her first. The only changes I have made to her recipe is to put them into the standard American Measurements.
Blackberry BakewellBlackberry Bakewell
Shortcrust Pastry to fill a 12 inch tart tin
1 1/4 cup of plain flour
1/2 cup of butter
3tbsp of water
- Sift the flour , add the butter and rub in with your fingertips
- Add the water and mix to form a dough
- Wrap in cling film and chill for 20 minutes
2 cups of blackberries
1 1/4 cups butter
1 1/4 cups caster sugar<---aka baking sugar, or superfine sugar
2/3 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 medium eggs
1 fresh vanilla pod/ 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Roll out the pastry and line a greased tart tin, line with baking paper and baking beads.
- Bake blind for 20 minutes .
- Simmer the blackberries for 10 minutes uncovered to break them down and concentrate the juice. Carefuly taste and add a little caster sugar if they are too sour.
- Meanwhile make the filling , if you are using a vanilla pod scrape the seeds from the pod
- In a food processor blend together butter sugar until creamed.
- Add the almonds , flour baking powder eggs and vanilla
- Mash the blackberries with a fork to break them down a little, spread across the bottom of the pastry case, then spoon the almond mixture on top and spread out evenly
- Return to the oven for 40 minutes until golden on top
- Dust with icing sugar