Wednesday, April 24, 2013

U is for....Um, Uh, Ugh

Ok so um hmmm...I have not a single clue as to any foods that begin with U. I mean there are the cheat ones like Upside Down Cake. But actual ingredient....yup I'm stumped. So looks like today is another cheat day. Today's theme will be Ugly.

We've all done it before. Experimented and made a dish that was so ugly you were afraid to touch but when you took a bite it was surprisingly delicious. The following recipe is heart burn inducing but so yummy. I don't remember where I first saw this recipe so I'm so sorry that I cannot give credit to where I found it since it was a number of years ago. I can guarantee this is not pretty to look at but it is so yummy.

Photo Courtesy of stevendepolo

Chili Cheese Dog Casserole
6 hot dogs sliced
6 hot dog buns torn into pieces
1 large can of chili
1 large onion chopped (can be omitted)
Mustard
Relish
Bacon, cooked and drained
2 cups shredded cheese
hot sauce


Preheat oven 350. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish. Arrange torn up bun on the bottom of the dish evenly. Layer hot dog pieces over bun. Spread chili on top of hot dogs. lightly cover with mustard and relish and sprinkle onions over the top. Lightly splash hot sauce across top. Top with cheese and bacon. bake for 30 minutes.


Alterations: you can make this healthier but using whole wheat hot dog buns, turkey hot dogs, turkey bacon, vegetarian chili, low fat cheese, add more veggies etc.

1 comment:

  1. I am always looking for casseroles that the grand kids will like. This looks like one of them.

    ReplyDelete