Friday, April 5, 2013

E is for Espresso

So I debated today about what I wanted post food wise. There are the obvious choices of eggs and eggplant or the lesser thought of endive and escarole. But today I decided to appease my coffee loving friends. I would like to note that I personally do not like espresso/coffee nor do I like the smell of it. However I do understand why so many love it.


Espresso is low in calories and high in caffeine. So it can make for a great wake me up perk but in some it can cause irritability, stomach problems, head aches, and restlessness.



For today's recipe I decided to harken back to my college days. I had a roommate who adored coffee. Morning noon and night you would find her drinking it down like it was the last cup of coffee in the world. I remember one summer her making herself some popsicles with a leftover pot of coffee. Of course being college students she added some Kahlua to it. So here's to Amber where ever she may be.Warning the following recipe is for adults only as it contains alcohol.


Icy Espresso Kahlua Pops
3 cups cooled espresso
1/2 cup milk (may omit or adjust to your favorite level of lightness)
1/3 cup chocolate syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons Kahlua (may omit or change level to preference)
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons light brown sugar (may adjust to favorite level of sweetness)

Mix together all ingredients and pour into either molds or dixie cups. If you use dixie cups just gently place aluminum foil over top then poke Popsicle stick through the center. The foil will keep it in place so that it freezes in the middle of he pop. Freeze overnight until solid.

1 comment:

  1. I am not a fan of expresso either. Although I do love escargot!
    Paula's Place

    ReplyDelete