Friday, April 12, 2013

Book Review: Masquerade by Melissa De La Cruz

Masquerade (Blue Bloods, #2)So I decided to forge ahead with the Blue Bloods books and read the next installment Masquerade. The book continues from where Blue Bloods left off. Schuyler Van Alen and Oliver travel to Venice to find her grandfather. The threat from the Silver Bloods increases and more vampire deaths are to be had.

Ok let me start off by saying that yet again I was left with mixed feelings. I was glad to see that she gave up her overly long descriptions of the clothing they were wearing who it was made by. So instead of 20 pages of clothing description we are down to 5. But oh my gosh Ms. De La Cruz was guilty of one my all time biggest pet peeves. The huge information dump of what has already happened. The first 20-30 pages of the book were basically a rehash of everything that happened in the previous book. And I do mean everything. It was so sloppy thrown onto the pages that all action just stopped dead. I don't mind a reminder sprinkled in here and there. But this was just too much. These are not the type of books that you read out of order therefore there is no reason to catch up your reader. If they haven't read the first book and can't keep up then they should go back and read it. Even those who have a year or more time between books does not need this heavy and over done of  a rehashing. 


With all that being said I forced myself to push ahead. I'm glad I did because once I got through the first third of the book I found myself enjoying it. I was finally reading the page turner that that first one was again. I'm not sure when or if I'll move onto the third one. I can only hope that she learned from this one and does away with the info dump like she did away with the overly long clothing descriptions in the first book. I give a 3 out of 5 stars. It would have been a solid 4 maybe even 5 star if it weren't for that horrible beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment