Friday, April 12, 2013

K is for Kiwi

                                                                               Today's food is Kiwi. Did you know that the kiwi fruit has the highest levels of vitamin C than any other fruit? Even more than oranges. It has over 250% the daily recommended allowance. It is also high in Vitamin E and Folic acid. And 1 cup is just a little over 100 calories. Making it a sweet healthy snack that's sure to help keep colds at bay.

When I was younger I never really cared for Kiwis. I enjoyed the taste but was not a fan of the seeds. Now as an adult I'm a bit better about them but still not completely sold on the texture of those seeds.

 The following recipe is great in the summertime for a healthy desert. Kids will love them as they are fun to eat.


Fruit Kabobs
Berries (ie strawberry, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries etc)
Kiwi
Pineapple
Melon (ie watermelon, cantaloup, honeydew, casaba etc)
Bananas
Grapes
Any other of your favorite fruits (ie apples, pears, oranges,grapefruit).


Be sure to peel and remove all stems. Wash berries/grapes. Slice larger fruit into bite size chunks. Using long wooden kabob sticks begin to layer fruits on the sticks.. Place a grape or berry at the sharp end. Can serve plain, use chocolate fountain, or serve with your favorite fruit dip.


4 comments:

  1. Sounds great and my grandkids love Kiwi. I just hate to peel it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Kiwi. I had no idea Kiwi had that much vitamin C. Thank you for the info.
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I was almost 40before I tried one or even heard of one. I.liked them right away. :)

    History Sleuth's Writings A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I didn't know this about kiwis. I think I'll be even more determined now to make them a part of my diet.

    Have fun with a-z.

    ReplyDelete