Monday, April 8, 2013

G is for Garlic

Well for the second letter in a row I have no etsy shop :( The ones I had lined up never responded
back to my Q&A. So I'll continue with the shops I already have. But this post here is not about etsy but rather one of my all time favorite foods...GARLIC!!

The weird thing is that I'm not a fan of onions (especially raw, ew yuck!). But, garlic? OH my more please! Since I'm a little late this morning with my post and I have another rant like post I need to do I'm gonna skip the health facts today. Though I will say from the top of my head that garlic is known to be great for your digestive health.


The following recipe is a bit hard for me to post because I don't have exact measurements. This is a dish that my family adores but that we have crafted and developed over the years. We never measure we just kind of know by eyeballing. So I'll do my best to give measurements. We like to serve this with a nice crusty bread to sop up the sauce. My stepdaughter likes to use her bread to make a soggy sandwich out of the pork chops.

photo courtesy of modomatic on flickr



White Wine, Onion, Garlicky Pork Chops

6 thick sliced bone in pork chops (can use boneless but bones add more flavor)
1-bottle dry white wine (Chardonnay is what we usually use)
8 Garlic cloves minced
2 large onions sliced (we like half moon shaped)
2 Tablespoons oil
12 oz beef broth
1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
2-3 Tablespoons butter
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper


 Preheat oven to 325. We like to brine the pork chops for a few hours ahead of time but it is not necessary. In large cast iron skillet heat up oil and brown chops on both sides. Set aside.  Add onions to cast iron and heat till they start to become translucent. Remove onions and add some of the white wine to deglaze the pan. Add all of the white wine, beef broth, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, butter, a generous sprinkle of garlic and onion powder and a nice sized pinch of salt and ground pepper.  Let wine sauce heat up for a few minutes then add half the onions to the sauce. Place pork chops on top of the onions (make sure to also add the drippings on the plate) and top with the other half of onions. Remove from cooktop and place in oven. Finish cooking in oven. Depending on the thickness of the chops this can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes. Internal temp of pork chops should be about 160. If you do not have a thermometer cut into one of the chops. The juices should run clear and you should not see pink. When in doubt let it cook just a little longer.

3 comments:

  1. Pork chops sound heavenly! I can't cook harly anything without garlic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Glad I stopped by from A-Z!
    Carol Kilgore
    www.underthetikihut.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the best smells in the world has got to be garlic sauteed in olive oil - sounds like a great recipe! Enjoy your A to Z-ing!
    Jess/ Blogging on the Brink

    ReplyDelete