Thursday, April 25, 2013

V is for Vinegar

OK so I have a soft spot for vinegar. Partly because it is a tradition to go down the shore and get boardwalk fries. Boardwalk fries are salty thick fries lightly sprinkled with vinegar. I don't know if it is just a Jersey thing or if other states do it. But here in Jersey its just a thing we do kinda like pork roll (aka Taylor Ham for those not from Joisey)

Anyway the following recipe is like salt and vinegar chips only healthier. Why? Cause there is no frying and you use zucchini instead of potatoes. So that means those watching their carbs can enjoy them. Warning you will need a food dehydrator for this recipe. I got this recipe back in my days of being a vegetarian on Weight Watchers. Wish I could tell you where exactly I got it from but it again is one of those mystery sources.


Salt and Vinegar Zucchini Chips    
Photo Courtesy of WordRidden on flickr

3-4 Zucchninis thinly sliced
4 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
salt
Olive Oil


combine water and vinegar and soak zucchini in mixture for at least 12 hours (overnight is better). Drain but do not rinse the slices. Using a mister gently lightly mist with olive oil and sprinkle with salt (obviously you can pick your level of saltiness). Place in dehydrator and heat at 135 for 6-7 hours. They should be nice and crispy. Serve and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I have never had vinegar on fries. Sounds interesting. But this recipe sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound delicious. Come zucchini season I will definitely try making them. And salt & vinegar chips are my favorite. Thanks! (Nearly there with the Challenge. . . )

    ReplyDelete