Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Hodgepodge Wednesday 1/15/14


1. Are you a force to be reckoned with? In what way?

For the most part no. That is unless you step on the toes of those that I love like my close friends and family.  I rarely get over heated but when I do watch out. I have the ability to cut people to the quick. It's like I know the one thing to say that would hurt them the most. When I'm angry enough I can't control my filter and I'll say the meanest most nasty thing that would hurt that person. I'm not proud of it and am glad that it only happens on the rarest of occasions.

2. What are two things you love about the wintertime. Or, if love feels like too strong a word, what are two things you like about winter?

Snow!!!!!!! I want more snow! Lots and lots of it. Bury me under it bring on the blizzard. I LOVE IT! Unfortunately, living in New Jersey we don't get as much snow as I would like. Only a couple of storms a year. If only I could convince my hubby to move to a state where snow happens all the time in the winter....that would be dreamy. 

The other thing I love is fires in the fireplace. I live in an apartment now and don't have one but growing up I loved sitting in front of the fire. I loved everything about it from that unique smell, the heat it gives off, the pops and crackle sounds, to the way that that just staring at it is hypnotizing. I loved as a kid coming in from playing in the snow to sit down in front of the fire and warm up and dry off. 
3. Pomegranate, kumquat, persimmon, kiwi, and guava are all fruits said to have health
benefits, particularly during the winter months.  Do you have a favorite on the list? Are there any on the list you haven't tried?

I love pomegranate especially mixed with blueberries...yummy! I don't think I've ever had a kumquat or a persimmon. All I can think of though when I hear persimmon is daffy duck saying "thanks for the sour persimmons" complete with spit flying all over the place.

4. I passed a local church yesterday and noticed they had this on their sign, "When all else fails, do the right thing." Your thoughts?

How odd...why not do the right thing in the first place?

5. Do you ski? According to one list I've seen, the top 5 ski destinations for 2014 are St. Anton Austria, Whistler Canada, Cortina Italy, Tahoe USA, and Zermatt Switzerland. Of the five listed which would you most like to visit? We can make skiing optional if that helps the non-skiers with their answer.

No I've never been skiing. Something about me hurtling down a mountain doesn't sound like a good idea. I'm clumsy as all get out and I'm pretty sure I'd break my leg if not something more serious. I would love to visit Switzerland though!

6. What's the last thing you looked for online? (besides my blog!)

I was reading my email but before that I got caught up in an article about Tia and Tamarra Mowry and how the one (can't remember which one) was in an interracial marriage and the horrible comments she would receive from people online because she didn't marry a black man. It was really sad that in 2014 things like this still happen. 
 
7. What saying, slogan, quote, or motto, have you seen lately that inspires you for the new year?
 
I haven't been paying attention to any lately so I'll my favorite quote that has always had meaning to me. 
 
 One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

 
8.  Insert your own random thought here.
 
 I've posted about this on my blog but is something I'm obsessing on and can't seem to let go of. I've decided to challenge myself and read all the books that I can from the 1001 children's books to read before you grow up. 

I was upset to find out that a number of the books on the list are in another language with no english translations. I also found out that there are a number of them that are out of print...so the question becomes do I give up? Nope, I'm going to try and do it. 

I made the challenge harder than it needs to be though because I'm starting fresh and am not counting any books on the list that I've already read. So I'll be doing a good number of rereads. I'm thinking it will take me about 10 years to finish this challenge but that's ok.

I'm also planning on doing portions of it with my son. I'm reading the picture books to him and hopefully when he is older and able to handle it we'll do some of the chapter books together.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to check out the list of books. I love kids books and will be interested to see how many on the list I've read. Glad you played along today. Just fyi-I did see two comments from you so it wasn't lost. I only publish one if I get doubles, which happens occasionally. Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try some pomagranate with blueberries, sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete